How to walk confidently in Heels:
While it comes naturally to some, others struggle with shoes with added height but did you know there is actually a correct technique when it comes to walking in high heels?
- Put your heel down first, followed by your to toe, rather than walking with flat feet. Lean back ever so slightly rather than giving in to the tendency to want to balance on your toes.
- Take small steps. Wearing heels makes your stride shorter than normal, so adjust your gait accordingly.
- Walk with your head up, shoulders back and your destination in sight. It will help you walk confidently and avoid any obstacles.
- If you feel your shoe slipping as you step, arch your foot slightly to put pressure on the inside of your shoe. This will make it fit closer to your foot, making it easier to manoeuvre.
- Relax, let go of tension caused by worrying about balance and let your hips swing slightly as you walk.
- Don't rush. If you're unaccustomed to heels it's unwise to hurry or risk a tumble.
- Hold (but don’t clutch!) a handrail or companion’s arm if one is available to you, particularly when navigating stairs.
- Chin up and walk with pride, confidence and enjoy!